In a time when the new talent pool is shallow, attracting great staff and retaining them is vital.
We recently reported in our SATURDAY digital magazine that there were over 170 Village Manager roles available on seek in the week prior.
With approximately 1500 Village Managers in Australia, this is over 10% of all roles are currently vacant. In my experience this is around the highest number of vacancies I have seen in my career.
As you would know, gone are the days of the ‘set and forget’ employee. In a recent seek.com.au survey of over 4,800 potential candidates the results showed that employees are looking for:
- Engagement – employees want to be engaged in their work to thrive
- Relationships – 1 in 2 felt collegiate peer relationships have become more important
- Meaning and purpose – Organisations should show how their work benefits society, or how the organisation supports causes in the wider community
- Support with goals – Importance of understanding employees’ personal goals and ability to create a clear career direction, so new recruits can understand that they can have the opportunity of a career for life with your organisation
- Sense of achievement - Employees want to know that what they’re doing is making an impact
- True flexibility - Having choice over start and finish times is important to a lot of candidates
- Trust - Explain that you want to create a culture of trust and show how you’ve built that in the past
- Mental health support - 2 in 5 candidates say they would have liked more mental health support during COVID-19
- Ongoing learning - Humans are hardwired to learn and grow and stretch ourselves
Do these resonate with you?
Retaining key team members is fast becoming a key business pillar across Retirement Villages, Aged Care, Home Care, Health and Human Services here in Australia.